Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Childhood's End


Okay, this is a terrible, off-center picture, but I don't feel like photoshopping this one. 

Anyway, I just finished Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke this morning. It was quite good. I've explained in the Revolver review that I don't like giving synopses, and the same applies to books. The most that I'm willing to say is that it involves extraterrestrial life and how their presence changes humanity. There's a lot more to it than that, but you'll just have to read it to find out. But the story is quite good. The book is also fairly suspenseful, and has a good, unexpected twist towards the end of the story. It's also very well written. Arthur C. Clarke writes his science fiction with a level of intelligence that I've only found to be rivaled by Issac Asimov, and there were several parts of this book that were absolutely gripping. It's a good read, and anyone interested in science fiction (particularly fictional case studies about how extraterrestrial contact would change us) should pick it up.

Verdict: Recommended

6 comments:

  1. How did you come to decide that mechanical engineering was for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a pretty long process. I started college as a computer engineering student and then realized that I hate computers. I had taken a few physics classes at the time (I've always liked physics, but never thought that I would end up in it), and decided that I absolutely loved the field and decided to switch to mechanical engineering, which is essentially just applied physics.

    That's the short version of how I got into it. What's more interesting is what's kept me in it so far. But that's a long, detailed story for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, okay. Very nice. I'm still trying to figure out what I want. Lol... I know math, but not sure exactly whether I want pure math or something more... well good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if you have any questions, feel free to send me an email. I welcome with open arms any reason to talk about math. You can find the link on my profile.

    Anyway, good luck with your deciding. I'm sure you'll find something that fits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Thanks. Can I add you to my blog list?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure thing. Although you may want to add Ultimate Gourmet. I don't update this one too frequently.

    ReplyDelete