Saturday, March 6, 2010

Revolver


I just watched Guy Ritchie's Revolver, and it was absolutely great. I really, really enjoyed this film. The cover may have you believe that is it, in fact, an action movie. Don't be fooled, though. This is a really twisty, turny, and uniquely interesting crime drama. Yes, there are some action sequences (some really awesome action sequences at that), but the overarching storyline is much deeper than just watching people do awesome things. I don't like giving movie synopses, as I think that it's kind of silly to tell someone what a movie is about after you tell them to go watch it. For movies and games, where somebody will be investing a good amount of time in the product, they make more sense, but for a two hour movie, I don't really see the point. But the movie is very good. It's suspenseful and tense, and the characters, although mostly archetypical, are resounding and interesting. I had the main twist figured out about halfway though the film, but was still hazy on some of the important details, and it was still an absolute blast to watch those details unfold. The movie is rated R, but I'm not really sure why. It didn't really have all that much language, and most of the violence was abstracted. You never actually see anyone get shot or killed; it all takes place just off camera.

But the movie was very good. Definitely check it out.

Verdict: Recommended 

[EDIT]: I recently watched this film again, and the violence and language was worse than I originally thought. So I guess it deserves the R rating after all. But it's still a lot tamer than most of the stuff that's been coming out lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment