Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Time Machine



The Time Machine by H.G. Wells is a great book. I've already read this once, but it was back in middle school, and I thought it was about time to try it again. I'm actually really surprised that I could handle it in middle school. The language and concepts in this book are both pretty lofty, and it just seems like the reading level may have been a little high for a middle school student. Which probably explains why I had a completely false memory of the story.

Anyway, if you can't figure out what this book is about, then this review isn't going to help you. But yes, it does involve a time machine. The bulk of the story is told in first person from the perspective of the time traveler, and is basically just a recounting of his adventures. The story-telling is passionate, and a lot of the time traveler's personality is conveyed simply in how he conveys different parts of the story. There are some nice mildly hidden meanings within the story, too, but they are no so convoluted as to make you search high and low for them, which I like. I don't like when a story leaves me to make my own inferences, but do so in such a way that makes every hypotheses feel like a reach. I love finding my own meaning in art, but I don't like feeling like I'm just making it up.

Anyway, The Time Machine is a great read, and it's fairly short (just over a hundred pages, depending on your edition), making it very easy to recommend. Thus:

Verdict: Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment