Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Crazies

I just got back from seeing The Crazies at our local cinema. I'm typically not a huge fan of these sorts of movies, as they're all pretty much the same, but this one wasn't too bad. It was pretty suspenseful, and it had some interesting hooks, but overall it was kinda predictable and straightforward. It was a good time, but there's nothing revolutionary about it. The acting was also pretty competent, and I was worried at first that it was just going to be another zombie movie, but I was pleasantly surprised by the behavior of the monsters in the film.

I'm not a huge fan of "horror" movies in general. I really just don't like jump-scares. I believe that there is a difference between negative and positive tension in films (which is a discussion for another time), and I think that jump-scares are 100% negative tension. I'm more of a fan of psychological horror movies, a few of which I will probably review at some point on here. I like wondering what is going on, not how or when somebody is going to get snatched.

But as far as these sorts of movies go, The Crazies was one of the better ones. It was definitely entertaining, but you really won't be missing a whole lot if you don't watch it.

Verdict: Neutral. You won't be sorry either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment